The overall objective of this project is to support the Zanzibar authorities in their efforts to reduce poverty and stimulate socio-economic development by developing and implementing a sustainable renewable energy strategy. Under this EU-funded project, a consortium led by MWH will provide Technical Assistance to support and guide the Zanzibar authorities to determine a strategic approach to the alternative sources of energy that could generate economically viable investments.
The consortium will analyse the costs and benefits of each RE & EE technology, determine viable options and possible combinations of alternative energy sources, support the RGoZ in the establishment of a conducive legal and regulatory framework for RE & EE accompanied by an action plan and implementation schedule, formulate supporting mechanisms geared to the private sector promoters, render assistance to the key stakeholders in RE & EE projects implementation, and last but not least raise awareness of RE & EE among the population of Zanzibar.
The Zanzibar government has adopted various strategies over the past 15 years to improve the welfare of its people. The government aims to improve the standard of living of the people of Zanzibar through income generation, strengthening social services and creating an educated workforce. Energy availability and reliability play an important role in this process, and continue to be a challenge. The islands of Zanzibar receive electricity from mainland Tanzania through undersea cables, but due to challenges in electricity generation in the mainland, as well as concerns with transmission through (undersea) cables, it is imperative that Zanzibar finds more reliable alternative sources.
- Overall work plan and inception report.
- Opportunities assessment of RE/ EE technologies for Zanzibar
- RE & EE regulatory framework for Zanzibar
- Supporting mechanisms introduced by the RGoZ and geared to the private project promoters
- Technical support to the RGoZ for private projects implementation
- Technical support to the RGoZ for state-run projects implementation
- Training and know-how transfer
- Communication and visibility
- -6.165916999999999, 39.20264099999997