MWH is providing preliminary and final design service for the Tunnel Dewatering Pump Station (TDPS) project, one of the largest combined sewer pump station projects in the U.S. This critical component is the second scheduled as part of the $3 billion CSO Plan Improvements Program for the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD). This project will enable NEORSD to meet critical requirements associated with a possible Consent Decree, resulting in fiscally sound solutions for the community and meeting Board expectations.
The current Easterly collection system contains both combined and sanitary sewers. The combined sewer system has regulators that divert excess flows to local waterways and Lake Erie. Intercepted flows are routed to the Easterly Wastewater Treatment plant (Easterly WWTP) through three individual interceptors. The TDPS will provide the means to entirely dewater the storage tunnel system at the end of each wet weather event and pump combined sewage to the Easterly Interceptor for transport to the Easterly WWTP. Equipped with seven dewatering pumps, it will enable these tunnels to capture flows in a controlled fashion that would have otherwise been discharged into surface waters. Two additional submersible pumps are provided for emergency in the event of cavern flooding. The pumps include:
- Main dewatering pumps
– four 40-mgd vertical non-clog
– one 20-mgd vertical non-clog
- Final dewatering pumps
– two 10-mgd horizontal non-clog
- Sump/emergency drainage pumps
– two 1-mgd dry pit submersibles
- Preliminary and detailed design
- Geotechnical investigation
- Risk management
- Hydraulic analysis
- Instrument and controls
- Construction phasing and administration
- Innovative Cavern alternative design provided over $50 million in savings.
- 160-mgd capacity pump station 230 feet deep, one of the largest in the U.S. to address combined sewer overflows.
- Sustainable features include low impact development, carbon footprint analysis and energy efficiency management.
- Cleveland, Ohio, United States
- 41.49932, -81.69436050000002